Every man, regardless of his body shape or size, deserves a suit that accentuates his physique and boosts his confidence. For bodybuilders, however, finding a well-fitted suit can feel like an Olympic-sized challenge.
The muscular build, characterised by broad shoulders, a narrow waist, and large biceps, often presents fitting issues that standard suit sizes don't cater to.
But fear not. In this blog, we'll delve into how bodybuilders can conquer these challenges, choose the right suit, and look impeccable in it.
Every good suit starts with a shirt. Check out our Muscle Fit Shirts for Bodybuilders here.
Can muscular guys wear slim fit suits?
It's a common misconception that muscular men can't wear slim-fit suits. The truth? It's all about the suit's fit on the individual, not the label. Slim-fit suits, contrary to popular belief, can flatter a muscular physique if the proportions are right.
However, bodybuilders with extreme measurements may find slim-fit suits restrictive. The key lies in trying various cuts and fits and not restricting yourself based on generalized labels.
How should a suit fit a muscular man?
A well-fitted suit for a muscular man requires attention to specific aspects. Here's what to look for:
- Shoulder Fit: The suit jacket should sit flat on your shoulders without any wrinkles or bunching.
- Chest and Waist: The jacket should button comfortably without any pulling or puckering. The taper from chest to waist should align with your body's natural contour.
- Sleeve Length and Width: Sleeves should end just above your wrists, with about half an inch of your dress shirt visible. Check out our muscle fit short sleeve shirts with this perfect design!. Like muscle shirts, the armholes need to be high enough to allow movement but not so tight that they constrict your biceps.
- Trouser Fit: Trousers should sit comfortably on your waist, with a slight break at the shoe. Remember, too loose can look baggy, and too tight may stress the fabric.
- Lapel Width: The lapel of the jacket should be in proportion with your physique. Muscular men can opt for a slightly wider lapel to match their broad shoulders.
- Vents: Double-vented jackets allow more room for your broad back and don't hug your body as tightly when you sit, maintaining a cleaner silhouette.
- Trouser Rise: The rise of the trousers, or the distance from the waistband to the crotch seam, is crucial. A mid-rise often works best, providing a balanced look and greater comfort.
Off-the-rack vs. Made-to-measure vs. Bespoke Suits
Let's delve a bit into the different suit options available:
- Off-the-rack: These suits are pre-made in standardized sizes. They're readily available and comparatively inexpensive but may not fit well, particularly for a muscular build.
- Made-to-measure: These suits are semi-custom, meaning they're made based on your measurements but using pre-existing patterns. They provide a better fit than off-the-rack suits but are less customizable.
- Bespoke: These are fully custom suits made from scratch to fit your exact measurements and preferences. They provide the best fit and customization but are the most expensive.
As a bodybuilder, a made-to-measure or bespoke suit can be a worthy investment. The cost is higher, but the fit, comfort, and style are unmatched.
Understanding your measurements
Knowing your personal measurements is crucial in finding a suit that fits well. Measure your chest, waist, hips, arm length, and inseam accurately. While you can do this at home with a measuring tape, consider getting professionally measured for better accuracy.
How do you look muscular in a suit?
Creating a muscular silhouette in a suit is all about the right choices:
- Cut: Opt for suit jackets that emphasize your V-shaped torso. Look for structured shoulders and a suppressed waist.
- Fabric: Lightweight and flexible fabrics can accommodate your build better. Wool, for instance, is a durable and flexible choice.
- Colour and Style: Darker colours can create a slimming effect, while vertical stripes can elongate your frame.
- Fit: Always prioritize fit over size. It's better to have a slightly larger suit adjusted than to squeeze into one that's too tight.
Best suits for a muscular build
Single-breasted suits with two buttons work great for muscular builds as they enhance the V-shaped torso. Remember, fabric matters too. Opt for wool or wool-blend suits for their versatility and comfort.
Custom Suits: A viable solution
Custom suits offer a perfect solution for bodybuilders. They provide a perfect fit, personalized style, and unmatched comfort. Yes, they're more expensive, but the investment is worth it when you consider the advantages.
The role of a skilled tailor
Never underestimate the power of a good tailor. They can adjust the shoulders, take in the waist, and even taper the trouser legs to achieve the perfect fit for your muscular build. It's their job to make you look your best.
A skilled tailor can work wonders on a suit, but it's crucial to maintain open communication with them. Don't hesitate to discuss your lifestyle and needs – for example, if you lift weights regularly, you might prefer a bit more room in the shoulders and arms for comfortable movement.
A good tailor can accommodate these requests and ensure the suit looks great both when you're standing still and when you're on the move.
Choosing the right dress shirt
A great suit deserves a great dress shirt. That's where brands like Oxcloth come in, offering dress shirts specifically designed for muscular physiques and bodybuilders. The right dress shirt complements your suit and enhances your overall look.
When choosing a dress shirt, consider the collar style, cuff style, and shirt length. Brands like Oxcloth offer a 'true muscle fit,' catering to those with a larger neck and chest size. Our clothes for bodybuilders pair perfectly with your suit, accentuating your muscular build rather than hiding it.
Oxcloth - Best Muscle Fit Shirts For Your Suit
Being muscular shouldn't limit your fashion choices, and that includes wearing a suit. Explore different suit options, understand your measurements, and don't shy away from investing in tailoring for that perfect fit.
Remember, the key lies in a suit that respects and accentuates your body shape, not one that tries to hide it. Now that you're armed with these tips, it's time to suit up!
Remember to check out Oxcloth for athletic fit dress shirts perfect for your muscular build, and share this blog with others who might find it useful. It's time we redefine how suits fit on muscular men!
Remember, this blog post isn't just a guide; it's a call to action. Share it with your friends, fellow gym enthusiasts, or anyone who might find it helpful. Together, we can redefine what it means to look sharp, regardless of our size or build.
With the right information, bodybuilders can not only find a well-fitting suit, but they can also redefine what it means to look sharp. If you found this article helpful, why not take a look at our range of dress shirts at Oxcloth, specifically designed for the muscular build?
Share the love, and this article, with anyone you think could benefit from it. Let's change the suit game together.
Wearing a suit as a bodybuilder doesn't have to be a struggle. With the right understanding of your body, suit styles, and the crucial role of a good tailor, you can wear a suit that celebrates your hard-earned physique.
Let's embrace diversity in fashion, respecting every body type, including the muscular build.
Don't forget to check out Oxcloth's collection, perfect for pairing with your tailored suits, and share this comprehensive guide with others. It's time to suit up and look sharp – because every bodybuilder deserves a suit that fits just right!